WEDI Special Session on Security and Privacy Issues in EHR Acquisition and Implementation Featured at HIPAA Summit XIII
- The Leading Forum on Healthcare EDI, Privacy, Confidentiality, Data Security and HIPAA Compliance
- Collocate with Third National HIT Summit
- Featuring Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP), Certified Professional in Electronic Health Records (CPEHR) and Certified Professional in Health Information Technology (CPHIT)
- September 24 - 27, 2006, at the Washington DC Renaissance Hotel, Washington, DC
WASHINGTON DC USA -- HIT/HIPAA UPDATE NEWS SERVICE(TM) -- AUGUST 1, 2006: The Thirteenth National HIPAA Summit, www.HIPAASummit.com, which will be held at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill on September 24 - 27, 2006 in Washington, DC, announced today that it will feature a special preconference session on Security and Privacy Issues in EHR Acquisition and Implementation sponsored by the Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI). The Summit will be collocated with the Third Health Information Technology Summit, www.HITSummit.com. The HIPAA Summit is sponsored by over 50 major associations and publications.
WEDI SPECIAL SESSION ON EHR ACQUISITION AND IMPLEMENTATION:
On Sunday, September 24, 2006, the Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange will sponsor the following special preconference session on Security and Privacy Issues in EHR Acquisition and Implementation:
- 1:00 pm Introduction and Overview of Security and Privacy Issues in Electronic Health Records Acquisition and Implementation by Lesley Berkeyheiser, Principal, The Clayton Group, Glen Mills, PA (Co chair) and Susan A. Miller, Esq., Chief Operating Officer and Chief Privacy Officer, HealthTransactions.com, Concord, MA (Co chair)
- 1:15 pm Legal Issues in EHR Acquisition, Implementation and Monitoring - EHR has a number of federal law hurdles and impacts that must be considered when planning for an EHR and in implementing an EHR and in monitoring an EHR. What are the STARK impacts? What are the anti-kickback impacts? What are the antitrust ripple affects? Is EHR a standard of care? By Thomas E. Jeffry Jr., Esq., Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Los Angeles, CA; Rebecca L. Williams, RN, JD, Partner and Co chair, HIPAA Task Force, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP and Chair, Preemption Sub-workgroup, Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange, Seattle, WA; and Susan A. Miller, Esq., Chief Operating Officer and Chief Privacy Officer, HealthTransactions.com, Concord, MA
- 2:30 pm The Pluses and Minuses in EHR - Many of the HIPAA regulations are necessary parts of EHRs, not just security and privacy. While the HIPAA security and privacy regulations assist in EHRs, there are questions and issues that cannot answer or help. But how do HIPAA TCS and NPI regulations help EHRs or hinder EHRs? Come to hear how all the HIPAA regulations impact EHRs by Lesley Berkeyheiser, Principal, The Clayton Group, Glen Mills, PA; Joan Boyle, Independent Consultant, Grand Lake, CO; David Ginsberg (Invited), Principal, PrivaPlan, Santa Fe, NM; and Susan A. Miller, Esq., Chief Operating Officer and Chief Privacy Officer, HealthTransactions.com, Concord, MA
- 4:00 pm ONCHIT, AHRQ and NGA Report, presenter to be announced
- 5:00 pm WEDI EHR Task Force Report and Legislation Report by Sharon Canner, MA, MS, Government Affairs, eHealth Initiative, Washington, DC and Robert M. Tennant, Senior Policy Advisor, Health Informatics, Medical Group Management Association, Washington, DC
Gary G. Christoph, CISM, CHS
Chief Informatics Officer, Teradata Government Systems, Inc., Former Chief Operating Officer, National Institutes of Health Center for Information Technology, Former Chief Information Officer, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Columbia, MD
Jodi G. Daniel, JD, MPH
Director, Office of Policy and Research, Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, and Former Senior Counsel for Health Information Technology, Office of the General Counsel, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC
Director, Health Privacy Project, Research Scholar, Center on Medicine as a Profession, Columbia College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY
John Goodman, Ph.D.
President and Chief Executive Officer, National Center for Policy Analysis, Author, Patient Power: Solving America's Health Care Crisis, Washington, DC
Susan McAndrew, Esq.
Office of HIPAA Standards, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Baltimore, MD
Peter Swire, Esq.
C. William O'Neill Professor of Law, Moritz College of Law, Ohio State University, Former Chief Counselor, Office of Management & Budget, Office of the President of the United States, Washington, DC
Kepa Zubeldia, MD
President and Chief Executive Officer, Claredi, Former Chair AFEHCT, Former Member, NCVHS, and Co Chair, WEDI Security Policy Advisory Group, Kaysville, UT
HIPAA SUMMIT CO CHAIRS:
William R. Braithwaite, MD, Ph.D.
"Doctor HIPAA", Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, eHealth Initiative, Former Senior Advisor on Health Information Policy, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC
Alan S. Goldberg, JD, LLM
Attorney & Counselor at Law, Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Maryland School of Law and Suffolk University Law School and Past President, American Health Lawyers Association, McLean, Virginia
Steven S. Lazarus, Ph.D., FHIMSS
President, Boundary Information Group and Past Chair, WEDI, Denver, CO
John C. Parmigiani
President, John C. Parmigiani and Associates, LLC, Former Director of Enterprise Standards, HCFA, Ellicott City, MD
Principal, The Clayton Group, Glen Mills, PA
Susan A. Miller, Esq.
Chief Operating Officer and Chief Privacy Officer, HealthTransactions.com, Concord, MA
HIPAA SUMMIT FEATURED SPECIAL SESSIONS:
- WEDI Preconference Symposium: Security and Privacy Issues in Electronic Health Records Acquisition and Implementation
- Keynote Address: Assessment of HIPAA Implementation and Compliance and the Implications of New Legislation
- HIPAA Years In Review - What a Short, Strange Trip It's Been
- Transactions and Code Sets and the National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- Live Roundtable Report from the X12
- Advanced Strategies for NPI Implementation Compliance
- ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Update
- HIPAA Transactions - The Next Generations
- On the Road to Interoperability: CORE Phase I Rules Certification Testing
- The Office for Civil Rights and Health Care Privacy
- HIPAA Privacy: A Three Year Look Back
- An Overview of State Privacy Laws and Preemption Issues Under HIPAA
- Data Breach Prevention 101 and Lessons Learned
- Responding to Your Worse Security Breach Nightmare: When Patient Information is Stolen
- HIPAA and Identity Theft
- How the Heck did this Happen?? Simple Security Mistakes that Can Lead to Disaster
- How to Respond to a Data Breach - It's not just about HIPAA Anymore
- Computer Forensics as a Part of a Security Incident Response Program
- Automating Security Management: Are we There Yet?
- Secure Transmission Workshop
- Achieving HIPAA Security Compliance in a Non-Acute Care Environment
- HIPAA, Providers and Health Plans: What Does Your Provider Agreement Say?
- HIPAA and JCAHO Requirements Compared and Contrasted
- Mind Your Own Business...Associates: Conducting BAA Audits
- Privacy and Security in a Federated Research Network
- Post-HIPAA Implementation of Employee Wellness Programs: Practical Tips and Pitfalls
- How to Conduct an Investigation and Use the Results for Continual Process Improvement
- Achieving Continuous HIPAA Compliance - Tips & Tricks
- HIPAA LIVE! From Plan to Breach To Investigation to Resolution
- Digital Evidence Handling: Chain of Custody
- Close Encounters of the Data Kind: Data Capture from the Actual Medical Record to Validate Accuracy in Reporting
- Responding to Government Subpoenas and other Official Inquiries under HIPAA
- Privacy and Security Enforcement: An In-Depth Exploration of Federal Civil Enforcement
- Privacy and Security Enforcement: An In-Depth Exploration of Federal Criminal Enforcement
- Building Statewide Implementation Strategies for Successful Health Information Exchange (HIE) Implementation
- Managing Patient Authorization in Regional Health Information Organizations
- Realizing the National Health IT Strategy through the Adoption of a Standardized Digital Identity Solution
Margret Amatayakul, MBA, RHIA, CPEHR, CPHIT, CHPS, FHIMSS
President, Margret\A Consulting, LLC, Adjunct Faculty in Health Informatics, College of St. Scholastica, Former Executive Director, Computer-based Patient Record Institute, Former Associate Executive Director, AHIMA, Schaumburg, IL
W. Holt Anderson
Executive Director, North Carolina Healthcare In-formation and Communications Alliance, Inc., Research Triangle Park, NC
Sharon A. Anolik
Director of Privacy, Blue Shield of California, San Francisco, CA
Director, Administrative Information Systems, Metropolitan Jewish Health System, Brooklyn, NY
Peter T. Barry Company, Independent Consulting Health Care and Information Systems, Naples, FL
Gary A. Beatty
President, EC Integrity, Inc., Past Chair, X12N Insurance Subcommittee, Stewartville, MN
Robert Belfort, Esq.
Partner, Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP, New York, NY
Independent Consultant, Grand Lake, CO
Sharon A. Budman, MS.ED., CIPP
Director of HIPAA Privacy and Security, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL
Sharon Canner, MA, MS
Government Affairs, eHealth Initiative, Washington, DC
Corporate Compliance and Privacy Officer, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Roy G. Clay III
Compliance Officer, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA
Michael R. Costa, Esq., MPH
Greenberg Traurig, LLP, Boston, MA
HIPAA Program Director, BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina, WEDI Board of Directors Executive Committee, Chair, WEDI Information Exchange and Management Committee, Columbia, SC
Andrea S. Danes
Director, Business Development, FOX Systems, Inc., Scottsdale, AZ
Gerald E. DeLoss, Esq.
General Counsel, Fairmont Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, Fairmont, MN
Director, Enterprise Accounts, EchoWorx, Toronto, ON, Canada
Judith A. Eisen, Esq.
Partner, Garfunkel, Wild & Travis, PC, Great Neck, NY
Margaret "Peggy" Eisenhauer, CIPP
Founder and Principal, Privacy and Information Management, Services, Margaret P. Eisenhauer, P.C., Atlanta, GA
eProvider Solutions Lead, Aetna, Chair, CORE Testing Subgroup
David A. Feinberg, CDP
President, Rensis Corporation, Seattle, WA
Steven M. Fleisher, Esq.
Senior Director Corporate Compliance and Privacy, Blue Shield of California, San Francisco, CA
Senior Consultant, Boundary Information Group, Beach Park, IL
David Ginsberg (Invited)
Principal, PrivaPlan, Santa Fe, NM
Marc D. Goldstone, Esq.
Senior Counsel, Tenet Health System, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Marne E. Gordan
Director, Regulatory Affairs, Cybertrust, Herndon, VA
Jody S. Hawkins
Information Security Officer, Children's Medical Center Dallas, Dallas, TX
Barry S. Herrin, CHE, Esq.
Partner, Smith Moore LLP, Atlanta, GA
Thomas E. Jeffry Jr., Esq.
Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Los Angeles, CA
Samuel P. Jenkins, CHE
Chief Privacy Officer, TRICARE Management Activity (TMA), Falls Church, VA
Vice President Operations and Chief Audit Officer, Parses, Inc., Tampa, FL
James Jordan III, CIPP
Founder, Jordan Legal Counsel, P.C., Lilburn, GA
Martin Keane, CIPP
Senior Consultant, Risk and Operations, PricewaterhouseCoopers, McLean, VA
Gail S. Kocher (Invited)
Tech Business Analyst, HIPAA Knowledge Center, Highmark, Inc., Camp Hill, PA
Assistant Director, International Association of Privacy Professionals, York, ME
Patrice Kuppe (Invited)
Director of Administrative Simplification, Allina Hospitals and Clinics, Minneapolis, MN
CORE Program Director, Council for Affordable Quality Healthcare, Washington, DC
Senior Director of Information Systems (Clinical and Integrative), Metropolitan Jewish Health System, Brooklyn, NY
David V. Marshall, Esq.
Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Bellevue, WA
Renee H. Martin, JD, MSN, RN
Attorney, Tsoules, Sweeney and Martin, LLC, Exton, PA
R. Harold (Hal) McCard, Jr., Esq.
Partner, Chaffe McCall LLC, New Orleans, LA
Julie Smith McEwen, CIPP/G, CISSP
Principal Information Privacy and Security Engineer, MITRE Corporation, Columbia, MD
Mark McLaughlin (Invited)
Chair, Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange, Reston, VA
Chief Executive Officer and Chief Medical Officer, Parses, Inc., Tampa, FL
Kirk Nahra, Esq.
Partner, Wiley, Rein and Fielding, Washington, DC
Uday O. Ali Pabrai, CISSP, CHSS
Chief Executive and Co founder, HIPAA Academy, Newport Beach, CA
T. J. Parks, CIPP
Manager, Security and Privacy Services, Deloitte & Touche LLP, New York, NY
John Phelan, Ph.D.
Technology and Management Consultant, Milliman, Inc., Westlake Village, CA
Ishwar Ramsingh, MBA, CISSP, CISM
Information Security Administrator, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL
Vice President of Healthcare Strategy, LaSalle Bank Corp., A Subsidiary of ABN AMRO Services Company, Chicago, IL
Chief Technology Officer, SAFE-BioPharma Association, Providence, RI
Tom Reeder (Invited)
Acting Benefits Tax Counsel, Office of Tax Policy, Department of the Treasury, Washington, DC
Beth Rubin, Esq.
Of Counsel, Dechert LLP , Philadelphia, PA
Gail Sausser, Esq.
Staff Attorney, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA
Paul T. Smith, Esq.
Partner and Co chair, HIT/HIPAA Task Force, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, San Francisco, CA
Eric G. Steinhardt
Manager, IS Security, Metropolitan Jewish Health System, Brooklyn, NY
Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc., McLean, VA
Christina Stephan, MD
Fellow, National Library of Medicine Health Informatics, University of Minnesota, Team Member, Minnesota Health Information Technology Assessment Project (MN-HIT AP), Liberty Alliance Project, Minneapolis, MN
Walter G. Suarez, MD, MPH
President and CEO, Midwest Center for HIPAA Education, Co chair, WEDI SNIP Regional Efforts Workgroup, Co chair, SNIP National Provider Identifier, Member of the National Uniform Claims Committee, Minneapolis, MN
Gary Swindon CISM, CHS-III
Chief Operating Officer, RiskWatch, Inc., Member, CISM Board of Directors for ISACA, Former First Privacy and Security Officer, WebMD, Former Chief Information Security Officer, Orlando Regional Healthcare, Annapolis, MD
Robert M. Tennant
Senior Policy Advisor, Health Informatics, Medical Group Management Association, Washington, DC
Brian Tretick, CIPP
Principal, Ernst & Young, Takoma Park, MD
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Information Technology, LSU Health Sciences Center-New Orleans, New Orleans, LA
Rebecca L. Williams, RN, JD
Partner and Co chair, HIPAA Task Force, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Chair, Preemption Sub-workgroup, Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange, Seattle, WA
CPEHR AND CPHIT TRAINING AND EXAMINATION OFFERED AT HIT SUMMIT:
The HIPAA Summit will offer Health IT Certification, www.HealthITCertification.com, Certified Professional in Electronic Health Records (CPEHR) and Certified Professional in Health Information Technology (CPHIT) training and the CPEHR and CPHIT certification examinations.
CIPP TRAINING AND EXAMINATION OFFERED AT HIPAA SUMMIT:
The HIPAA Summit will offer International Association of Privacy Professional, www.PrivacyAssociation.org, Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) training and the CIPP certification examination.
CISSP EXAMINATIONS OFFERED AT HIPAA SUMMIT:
The HIPAA Summit will offer the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP(r)) examination.
EXHIBIT & SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION:
For sponsorship and exhibit information contact Joni Lipson, Exhibit Manager, 215-599-6626 phone, 215-545-8107 fax, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further registration information, go to www.HIPAASummit.com, call 800-684-4549, email email@example.com or write:
HIPAA Summit Office
7790 Barberry Ave.
Yucca Valley, CA USA 92284